You can create fields using files stored on your computer. These may have been supplied by government services, exported from farm machinery or GPS devices, or created using other mapping software. The most common file formats for this kind of data are .shp, .kmz and .kml.

You may already have some field boundaries stored as files on your computer, for example in shape files or KMZs. You can upload them here to quickly map out your fields in fieldmargin.

Where can I get these files?

  • In some countries it is possible to request field boundary files from your government authority. Countries where this service is available are the USA, Scotland and Holland.

  • Machinery that has GPS steering is likely to have boundary files recorded which can be transferred to your computer.

  • If you have mapped your farm with other software, for example Google Earth, you may be able to export this information

You can check if you have some of these files on your computer already by doing a search for some of the most common file extensions: .shp, .shx, .dbf, .kml and .kmz.

How to

  1. In the fieldmargin web app go to the fields tab and click on ‘ADD’ and the "IMPORT"

  2. You will be shown a list of ways you can use to import fields, in the list you will see ‘Boundary Uploader’. Click the ‘Upload files’ button next to this section

  3. On the next screen click ‘Choose files’ and select the files you would like to upload

  4. When you’re happy with your selections click ‘Submit’

  5. You will return to the previous screen, if you scroll down you will see the files you uploaded with ‘Pending’ next to them

  6. Once uploaded we will process your files, depending on their format this may take us a couple of days. When they are ready we will send you an email to let you know and the fields will be added to your farm.

  7. By default your boundaries are added to your farm as fields with any names that were included in the files provided. You can change the name and feature type by viewing the feature and clicking ‘edit’ in the top right.

Did this answer your question?